There are a number of things that you can do to prevent injuring your achilles tendon, or even worse, rupturing it.
- Keep your body weight at an ideal level. If you are significantly overweight or obese, your legs will have to bear much more stress from carrying your upper body weight. The consequence of this will be injuries to muscles, bones and tendons in your legs.
- Stay active and in good physical shape.
- Strengthen your calf muscles. A strong calf muscle will allow your lower leg to withstand greater stress and force.
- If you plan to participate in any high intensity exercise, make sure that neither of your achilles tendons are in any kind of pain or swollen or tender or stiff.
- Also remember to take breaks during your high intensity activity session. Alternate with lower impact activities.
- Stay well hydrated and eat a healthy nutritious diet.
- Remember to do warm-ups and stretching exercises.
By taking the above precautions, you will significantly reduce the chances of rupturing or injuring your achilles tendon.